April 5, 2005 by Dan
1. You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be? The Royal Road to Romance by Richard Halliburton. Burning up with a free-spirited, traveling kindred soul is my way to go.
2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Off the top of my head:
Laura from High Fidelity
Rose Walker from Sandman
Jody the vampire from Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story
3. The last book you bought is: I rarely buy books (I’m a library guy), but I actually used up my Green Apple credit the other week on Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean.
4. The last book you read: What was I reading last week? I can never remember when it didn’t blow my mind. I really wanted to read Lying, Cheating and Stealing: Great writers on how to get what you want but the library lost it. So, I read A Storm of Swords by George Martin instead. Good junk fantasy, that.
5. What are you currently reading? Love and Death in Kathmandu and The Language Instinct: how the mind creates language. Pretty heavy non-fiction for now. I’m hoping to start the McSweeney’s Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales edited by Chabon in the next couple of days.
6. Five books you would take to a deserted island:
Sandman by Neil Gaiman. I’m counting the whole thing as one book.
Oxford Shakespeare: the complete works. That sucker would eat up an unbelievable amount of time.
Lamb by Christopher Moore. I’d bring all of his stuff if I could, but this one is just so damned good.
The Art of the Personal Essay. I don’t know where my copy went, but if I still had it I’d take it along.
Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Again, more than one book but it’s the same story so it totally counts.
7. Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 people) and why?
My brother, because he’s brilliant and has different lit. taste than me.
My mom, for the same reasons.
My pal David, ‘cuz he’s slightly crazy.
Category General | Tags: